Viofo 3 wire hardwire kit not working 30 minutes after installation.

acanicio

Hello everybody,

I have just purchased the following :
  • VIOFO A129 DUO dashcam,
  • VIOFO A129 Dash Cam 3 Wire Acc HK3 Hardwire Kit for Parking Mode
  • Set of 2x Viofo ATC fuse taps
I have a 2013 Volkswagen Polo V TDI 105 (France).
I have installed the complete system (plugged the usb side on the camera's body, not on the GPS)
I set the Hardwire kit was set to shut down at 12V.
The installation worked flawlessly for about 30 minutes (normal mode AND parking mode, all OK).

After about 30 minutes, the viofo A129 shut down by itself and I could not start it up again using the hardwire kit.
I unplugged it from the haredwire and tested it with the cigarette lighter plug and USB adapter, and it works OK.
So the dashcam itself is OK.

I tested the fuses on the taps : all OK.
When engine is running I get 13.8V out of the battery wire and 13.8 out of the ACC wire.
When the engine is stopped the and key is removed, I get about 12.2V out of the battery wire and 0V out of the ACC wire. ->Normal.

I then tested the hardwire kit itself.
I connected a voltmeter from the black wire of the kit to the ground connector on the car.
Result : 12.2V

I connected an ampmeter (400mA fused) from the black wire of the kit to the ground connector.
  • With the dashcam attached (both front and rear cameras) to the usb side of the kit, I get 1.5mA (milliAmps). Camera does NOT turn on.
  • With nothing attached to usb side of the kit I also get 1.5mA (milliAmps).
The kit therefore draws almost no current from the fuse box, whether the camera is attached or not.
I tried all 4 cutoff positions on the little switch, the result is the same.

Is there anything else I can test ?

Thank you very much. for your replies.

Best regards
Axel

acanicio

Well... I just filed a support ticket to VIOFO to see if they can help me...

Best regards
Axel

Systeman

Try setting the HK3 kit cut-off to 11.8v

Using you computer USB connection to the camera GPS power-in, reformat the SD card whilst in the camera. Make sure you have a decent bona fide class 10 SD card. Place the camera back in the vehicle and go thru your the settings procedure of preference.

Also, try setting up without Wi-Fi to see if it makes a difference.

Good luck.

acanicio

Sorry for my late reply.
I solved the issue !!
I found out that the kit's red battery wire got damaged when I had crimped the fuse tap connector.
It got bent a little bit when I put it in place and the electrical circuit was randomly cut off because of vibrations and road bumps...
So I replaced both crimp connectors with a connector block (with tightening screws), and now all is OK !

I now have other issues but I'll follow up with a new discussion.
Thank you.