[Resolved] Parking mode not starting with HK3 hardwire kit

mrness

My A129 Duo does not work in parking mode with the HK3 kit. I tried to use 2 different parking modes (low bit rate and 1 fps), but regardless of what I select, the camera shuts down the moment I cut off the ignition. I've used the lowest voltage threshold on the regulator switch (11.8 V) and the voltage input is more than enough (I measured 12.8 V on BATT cable).

The camera firmware was updated to version 1.9. The red led inside voltage regulator is always on, so I guess this means BATT wiring is done correctly. When I power the ignition, dash camera boots again, so I reckon the ACC wiring must be correct.

I've read somewhere that power cable of the hardware kit must be inserted in the power slot of the dash camera, not in the slot available on the mount that hosts the GPS sensor, so I did just that (I didn't even tried to plug it into the mount slot).

Thanks in advance

Capture Your Action

After updating to V1.9, did you go into the settings and manually default the cameras settings? Do so if you did not. After that, I would press the reset button on the side of the camera.

mrness

I'm an idiot! I presumed the power cable was the thick one, sharing the same kind of male connector as the one that comes with HK3, so I've replaced the back dash cam cable with the HK3 cable!

Everything worked up nicely after I corrected this mistake. Thanks for your help, dude!

NewbieOC

So I read the thread above. MrNess: That is the problem I am having. I just had Best buy do the install. Duo 129. All powers up great & it works fine and Parking Mode is On but testing it (while car is off and banging on my hood) records nothing. Is the recording light supposed to stay on when I shut off my ingnition so the device can record? or no? Just trying to figure out of I have to go back to the installer. Motion Det of off while in Parking Mode as well. Software is up to date as well/ settings seem correct. Suggestions?

mrness

Yes, the recording led is supposed to be on when parking mode is enabled (at least in 1fps mode).

Maybe your car battery is depleted and it cannot give you enough juice. The voltage regulator has a voltage threshold switch on a side. When the input voltage is below that threshold the regulator will cut off the dashcam power. Try lowering that threshold.

NewbieOC

Yes, the recording led is supposed to be on when parking mode is enabled (at least in 1fps mode).

Maybe your car battery is depleted and it cannot give you enough juice. The voltage regulator has a voltage threshold switch on a side. When the input voltage is below that threshold the regulator will cut off the dashcam power. Try lowering that threshold.
Thanks but my Lexus' regulator is built into my alternator...no side switch. I talked to Lexus. He thinks the installer tied it into an ingnition circuit versus a power circuit. That would explain no juice once the key if off so I will call them. What should the setting be in Parking mode: Low Bit rate?

mrness

You misunderstood me... The HK3 comes with a little box which I referred to as a voltage regulator. This box (see the below picture) is designed to:
  1. divide the voltage (your car battery voltage is at 12V while camera works at 5V)
  2. cut the camera power when car battery voltage is below a certain threshold; this feature is needed for avoiding battery depletion when you don't move your car for longer periods of time and camera parking mode is enabled.
The threshold I'm talking about is controlled by a switch, put that switch to the lowest threshold, which is 11.8V.

NewbieOC

You misunderstood me... The HK3 comes with a little box which I referred to as a voltage regulator. This box (see the below picture) is designed to:
  1. divide the voltage (your car battery voltage is at 12V while camera works at 5V)
  2. cut the camera power when car battery voltage is below a certain threshold; this feature is needed for avoiding battery depletion when you don't move your car for longer periods of time and camera parking mode is enabled.
The threshold I'm talking about is controlled by a switch, put that switch to the lowest threshold, which is 11.8V.
View attachment 545
I follow you... thank you for clarifying. Since it's part of the hard wire kit, is this imbedded under the dash or liner somewhere? meaning, I need to take it back to Best Buy and have them tweak it or can I access it ?