memory card filling up quick -- bad settings?

jeff000

I really like the A129 Duo. It does everything I was looking for.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the settings for parking mode. I have parking mode set, but it seems like it records most of the time. The 128gb card is nearly full overnight.

My bitrate is set to 'high'.
I have the 'G-sensor' set to medium, but that's not the problem because nothing is bumping the truck, and no earthquakes.

When I review the clips, nothing stands out as for motion that that would trigger the camera. It picked up on me walking in front of the truck fine. The majority of the overnight clips are of nothing. No passing cars, no cats, raccoons, or opossums. No neighbor flicking lights on and off.

Is there a motion sensitivity setting I'm missing? My home cameras will detect and record the reflection of a cloud passing in the birdbath.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff

benkar

I really like the A129 Duo. It does everything I was looking for.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the settings for parking mode. I have parking mode set, but it seems like it records most of the time. The 128gb card is nearly full overnight.

My bitrate is set to 'high'.
I have the 'G-sensor' set to medium, but that's not the problem because nothing is bumping the truck, and no earthquakes.

When I review the clips, nothing stands out as for motion that that would trigger the camera. It picked up on me walking in front of the truck fine. The majority of the overnight clips are of nothing. No passing cars, no cats, raccoons, or opossums. No neighbor flicking lights on and off.

Is there a motion sensitivity setting I'm missing? My home cameras will detect and record the reflection of a cloud passing in the birdbath.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff
I have the experience that the camera runs even when moving slightly, such as the movement of leaves or grass. Therefore, I do not use the motion detection mode for parking mode.

jeff000

I have the experience that the camera runs even when moving slightly, such as the movement of leaves or grass. Therefore, I do not use the motion detection mode for parking mode.

Thanks. I didn't know it was that sensitive. DO you have it set for low frames/sec or something?

wymondham

I'd be interested in this as my memory card is full each morning - seems to record constantly overnight. bitrate is low, motion detection off, park mode is not on timeframe... cant see why its recording constantly....

Marrtin

Frankly, I'm beginning to lose patience with both my A129's, the firmware seems to be really buggy making the camera erratic and unreliable. I've tried all the different parking settings, and they seem to record continually in full HD regardless of which mode is set, filling a 128gb card overnight. I have now discovered even with parking mode turned off, the unit still continually records.

For the moment, I have resorted to removing the constant live feed so the camera has no power if the ignition is off.

I think I have discovered one thing though, the camera must be powered up by the ignition. If the camera is turned on manually, it stays in drive mode permanantly never switching into parking mode when the ignition is turned off. Do check that the "parking" icon appears in the top left hand corner of the display when the ignition is switched off.

Capture Your Action

Frankly, I'm beginning to lose patience with both my A129's, the firmware seems to be really buggy making the camera erratic and unreliable. I've tried all the different parking settings, and they seem to record continually in full HD regardless of which mode is set, filling a 128gb card overnight. I have now discovered even with parking mode turned off, the unit still continually records.

For the moment, I have resorted to removing the constant live feed so the camera has no power if the ignition is off.

I think I have discovered one thing though, the camera must be powered up by the ignition. If the camera is turned on manually, it stays in drive mode permanantly never switching into parking mode when the ignition is turned off. Do check that the "parking" icon appears in the top left hand corner of the display when the ignition is switched off.
What firmware version are you using?
Are you powering the camera directly, not through the mount?
Are you using the Viofo 3-wire hardwire kit?

Marrtin

Hi CAY. It wasn't my intention to hijack the topic, but seeing as you ask, it's V1.5, updated (to be certain it was the latest) a few weeks ago.
Power was supplied direct to the camera when I used the parking mode however, I noticed plugging directly into the camera rather than the mount makes the GPS inoperative. I felt GPS data was more important than parking mode.
The kit is hard wired using the 3 wire kit, and yes it is DEFINITELY wired correctly.
Thanks.

Capture Your Action

Hi CAY. It wasn't my intention to hijack the topic, but seeing as you ask, it's V1.5, updated (to be certain it was the latest) a few weeks ago.
Power was supplied direct to the camera when I used the parking mode however, I noticed plugging directly into the camera rather than the mount makes the GPS inoperative. I felt GPS data was more important than parking mode.
The kit is hard wired using the 3 wire kit, and yes it is DEFINITELY wired correctly.
Thanks.
GPS should still work when plugged directly into the camera. If it does not, you have an issue.
Since your camera still operates when parking mode is off and the car is off tells me there is a connection issue. Most likely how the kit is wired, but since you say GPS does not work when powering the camera directly, then maybe there is something else going on. Be sure to check the fuses you tapped into with a meter to be sure power is there, or not there, when it's supposed to be. Keep in mind that just because whatever the fuse powers does not work when the car is off, does not mean there isn't still 12V at the fuse. My sunroof does not function when car is off, but the sunroof fuse still has 12V. It's computer controlled.

Marrtin

Thanks for the input CAY, but everything is wired correctly. Power direct from the battery and acc from the cigar socket. (I use that for the satnav so know when it is on/off.)

Firstly, you are right about the GPS. What I overlooked was the A129 may take up to 10 mins before the GPS info is included in recordings.

Basically, it powers up correctly and switches to parking mode (bleep and parking logo in diplay) when ignition is turned off, but I am experiencing exactly as the OP's in that it records almost constantly in full HD filling the 128gb card overnight.

As I see it, there are 4 parking mode settings. Event, time lapse, low bitrate and off. In my setup, event mode is triggered almost constantly so eats storage. Timelapse uses the same storage capacity as event because it IS recording constantly, Low bitrate seems to make no difference at all, ie, 10 mins of recording = a 1.5gb file size. (See comment) And finally, with the three wire setup and "parking mode off", when the ignition goes off, the A129 neither powers down or go into parking mode but continues in "drive" mode so of course records 24/7.

What are other people's experiences of parking mode, and do the find it truly useful?

Comment: - sure I have read somewhere, that the A129 switches from low bitrate to high bitrate if an event is sensed. Might be wrong, but would explain the high storage use.

Capture Your Action

In firmware V1.5, low bitrate parking mode records with a bitrate of about 4Mbps, so your files should not be the same size as regular recordings. If you are using the beta V1.7, there is a bug that causes low bitrate to continue to record at normal bitrate of about 16Mbps. You said you using V1.5, so not sure why your having an issue.
You should really measure the voltage at the fuse (in the fuse box where you have tapped into) for the cigarette socket. just because your cigarette port shuts off with the car does not mean the fuse does. Does your parking mode indicator on the lcd screen change from a picture of a car to something else when the car is turned off?
Have you tried to reload the firmware? That will sometimes fix odd behavior.
Motion Detection in the Auto Event Mode can be unreliable. The slightest movement or even a blinking led light can keep the camera recording. I prefer using low bitrate mode.