Is it me or the Dash Cam?

Jeff007

Rec'd the A129 Duo yesterday and have spent way to much time trying to get unit operational. Used 2 brand new micro SD cards (Samsung EVO and Pro) and 1st could not format card in camera - rec and mic lights on with Viofo on screen. 2nd, formatted on mac to FAT32 and followed instructions for firmware upgrade. Per instruction connecting cam to computer does nothing. Mac does not register the unit as a device, same two lights on with Viofo flash. Hitting menu button does nothing. Any ideas?

Capture Your Action

Copy the firmware to the card via a card reader, then put card in the camera and turn it on. Should update automatically. Don’t use the computers USB port for power, use a USB wall charger.

Jeff007

Ok, did that and firmware was updated -- rec light flashed red for awhile then stopped, stayed on and the mic light came on solid. Shouldn't I be able to go into the menu at this point?

Jeff007

No reboot. Camera does not record nor can I open menu. All I'm getting is sold lights on rec and mic and the Viofo flash screen. No action.

Jeff007

If you mean by reboot did the camera auto turn off then turn back on, then no, no reboot.

Dec

Turn camera off then turn it back on it should reboot.
If that doesn't work try resetting unit with the reset on side of camera

Jeff007

Yes turned off and on still same result. Did the reset --thanks for the tip-- but alas still same result. I do think I've got a dud.

Jeff007

It always looks the same either with card in or card out . . . as described above. Curious how when I unplug power it stays on --the rec and mic lights-- for 24 seconds.

Capture Your Action

It always looks the same either with card in or card out . . . as described above. Curious how when I unplug power it stays on --the rec and mic lights-- for 24 seconds.
What power supply are you using and what USB cable?
Was the camera fine before you tried to update it?

benkar

Sometimes I have a similar problem - the camera is badly recording (the image is mowing) and when I disconnect the power from the camera it takes a long time for the diodes to go out. I have not noticed in what situations this is happening, but I think it is somehow related to the high temperature inside the car. I use the card VIOFO 128GB MLC UHS-3.

Jeff007

I used a mophie and a wall outlet. I used USB cable that came in Viofo box with a iphone block for wall power. Always same result before and after update. Mysterious

Capture Your Action

I used a mophie and a wall outlet. I used USB cable that came in Viofo box with a iphone block for wall power. Always same result before and after update. Mysterious
So when you first received it, it never booted up past the Viofo screen?

Capture Your Action

Sometimes I have a similar problem - the camera is badly recording (the image is mowing) and when I disconnect the power from the camera it takes a long time for the diodes to go out. I have not noticed in what situations this is happening, but I think it is somehow related to the high temperature inside the car. I use the card VIOFO 128GB MLC UHS-3.
That’s a software crash. I would test your memory card with the H2testw program to make sure it’s Ok as a faulty card can cause a software crash. Make sure card is empty before testing.

benkar

That’s a software crash. I would test your memory card with the H2testw program to make sure it’s Ok as a faulty card can cause a software crash. Make sure card is empty before testing.

Thanks, I've been testing it before, and the card was OK, I'll try again. Should I leave (insert) the card in the camera while testing, or connect it to the PC via a card reader?

Last edited:

Capture Your Action

Thanks, I've been testing it before, and the card was OK, I'll try again. Should I leave (insert) the card in the camera while testing, or connect it to the PC via a card reader?
Use a card reader. If your sure the card is OK, maybe try reinstalling the firmware, being sure to manually default the cameras settings after the update (important).

Capture Your Action

Have you tried using the long USB cable and 12V car adapter that came with the camera? Under powering the camera could cause your issue. Make sure the power source supplies at least 1A. Camera sounds defective, but it’s worth trying to make sure it’s not something easy.

Jeff007

don't know what 1A is but we've got wall outlets carry voltage of 120 VAC. I'm in the US