Irregular video file length

acanicio

Hello everybody,

I'm coming today with a question concerning video file length on my brand new (3 weeks old) Viofo duos.

I use two brand new 64Gb Sandisk Extreme microSD cards.

Despite having set the video file length to 3 minutes on my Viofos duos (I have two of them, for my car and for my wife's), both record extremely irregular video lengths, between 5 seconds and 2 minutes.

If I press the "Warning" button, it sometimes does the exact opposite of what I expect, i.e. it stops and restarts recording, and saves the next video file instead of the one that I asked !! This means that I have everything that was recorded on the card EXCEPT the file that should contain the event I pressed the button for !! This has happened
to me dozens of times now, and it is not normal.

I tried the following without success :
  • set the bitrate to "low"
  • set the G-Sensor sensitivity to "Off"
  • reformatted the microsd cards
  • originally hardwired, I tried from the lighter plug
In parking mode all is OK. All files are exactly 3 minutes long.

Does anyone have an explanation for this ?
Thank you !
Best regards
Axel

Last edited:

acanicio

OK, I'm testing one of them right now.

Currently the rate is approximately 10 MB/s, expected end in 1h and 50 minutes.., I find this VERY SLOW, since the packaging (full english by the way with a gold (3D feeling at fingertips) "SanDisk EXTREME" mention on it) says up to 160MB read and 60MB write...

It may also be my adapter...

I will test it on another computer when it's finished...

acanicio

Here is the first result of the first card :

Warning: Only 60893 of 60894 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 10.8 MByte/s
Reading speed: 43.2 MByte/s

Now I'm testing it on a newer computer with a USB 3.0 port. The one I use everyday only has USB 2.0.

acanicio

Yes I did look correctly in the RO folder (and also in the "Photo" just in case), and the corresponding sequences were not in the regular folder either.
They are just missing alltogether.

I did the second speed test on my other computer and it was much better :

Warning: Only 60893 of 60894 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 39.8 MByte/s
Reading speed: 88.5 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Best regards
Axel

Capture Your Action

Pressing the ! button should also save a photo from that particular file. Was there no photo either?

It's very unlikely that you received 2 defective A129 DUO's that are defective in the same way. Firmware bug is possible, but I have not seen anyone else have this issue, but maybe you have yours setup differently in the settings. I would reinstall firmware V1.5, then manually default the cameras settings again in the menu. Change nothing but the time and date, then test the cameras function.

For the test. use a freshly formatted memory card (formatted inside the camera, not a computer), use the included Viofo 12V car adapter and Viofo USB power cable. I would also disconnect the rear camera, in case it's affecting something. If things are working OK, reconnect the rear camera and test again.

acanicio

Thank you for your detailed reply !

The only time I get a photo is when I press the leftmost button shortly.
When I do this, if there is no "Photo" folder it creates one and then saves the photos from there on.

The center button only saves video in the RO folder. I haven't noticed it also saved photos...
I have firmware V1.5. It was already installed on the camera when I got it.
No upgrades have since been published by viofo...

I will do the tests you suggested.

Best regards
Axel

acanicio

Reinstalling firmware will sometimes help.
Thank you !

OK so I reinstalled the firmware (V1.5), and the issue is the same.
This time I activated ALL beeps, and I noticed this while carefully looking at the camera while my wife was driving, and regularly pressing the rightmost button to activate the display.

The displayed live video hangs and at the same time the blinking orange recording circle stops blinking, and remains fixed for about 10 seconds.
Then I can hear a "bip" or sometimes a "bibip". The display then blinks once or twice and then restarts displaying normally, while the recording circle starts blinking again.
If I unplug the rear camera, the front camera works flawlessly, even at 60fps. Recording is nice and smooth. No missing frames nor sequences.

Since I have two sets of A129 duos for my two cameras, I swapped the front cameras on both cars.
The result is identical, this is, the recording regularly stops and restarts. The reset (the bip or bibip) happens within a range of 7 seconds (worst) and 130 seconds. It seems just not to be able to reach the 3 minute "deadline" I chose in the the settings.

I also tried the Sandisk Extreme Pro microsd cards I exclusively use for my 4k camcorder, and it's not better...

I repeat, I have the same problem with BOTH dashcams !
It seems the camera has a problem recording two simultaneous HD video streams.
Best regards.

Capture Your Action

Sounds like either the rear camera or rear camera cable is bad. I would swap the rear cameras and see if the rear camera from the known good setup causes the same issue. If not, then your rear camera was bad. If it still does it, then it’s probably the cable.

acanicio

Hi again,

Thank you for your replies.

No, I had the exact same issue with both cars, both cameras showed the same problems, even after having switched them between cars.

I tried different microSD cards, and finally I found the Samsung Endurance Pro 64gb that apparently solved the issue !
Now both dashcams on both cars work perfectly. No more crashes, no more lost videos. Every event is recorded correctly.

After reading all other issues described by other users, it seems that the main reason is : microSD cards !
It seems that you must use high end cards from the beginning, even if they are twice as expensive...
I now have a collection of microsd cards that I will use for different devices, EXCEPT dashcam.

The Samsung endurance Pro 64gb is advertised as having an extremely long lifetime of 21000 hours of recording...
That is about 20 years for my usage (1hr driving per work day + some eventual parking time...)

Thanks again

Last edited: