HK3 drain power waaay below 12.4v?

FogWatch

I have a A129 Duo. My HK3 hardwire kit is connected as illustrated, via fuse taps for yellow and red. The battery drains to way below the 12.4v selected. Why?

Thanks.

Capture Your Action

Are you running firmware V1.5 and are you powering the camera directly, not through the mount?

benkar

How is the cable switch set? To what value is the switch on the cable set? The battery also discharges to me, for example, to 11.7V, but this is due to the fact that I do not drive a lot and the battery is discharged by a device other than the camera (I do not know exactly what).

Capture Your Action

How is the cable switch set? To what value is the switch on the cable set? The battery also discharges to me, for example, to 11.7V, but this is due to the fact that I do not drive a lot and the battery is discharged by a device other than the camera (I do not know exactly what).
I assume he is saying that his camera is still running, even though the hardwire kit is set to 12.4V, but the car battery is well below that. If the camera is actually off when the battery is well below 12.4V, then the kit has done it's job and shut off the camera and the battery is either in poor health or something else, as you said, is depleting the battery.

Reactions: Fei

FogWatch

Does the camera enter parking mode within 5-10 seconds after car is shut off?
  1. The ignition is at "ACC".
  2. I select automatic Parking Mode. In the upper right of the A129 screen a "car" icon appears.
  3. When the ignition is switched off that icon changes to a person figure.
To what value is the switch on the cable set?
I set the HK3 voltage to 12.4.
If the camera is actually off when the battery is well below 12.4V, then the kit has done it's job and shut off the camera and the battery is either in poor health or something else, as you said, is depleting the battery.
Before I installed my A129 Duo my battery voltage remained above 12 after days of inactivity and the car always started easily.

With the A129 installed and powered by my HK3 set to 12.4 the battery voltage drops overnight to around 12. The car then only just starts.

Thanks for the replies

Capture Your Action

1. The ignition is at "ACC".
  2. I select automatic Parking Mode. In the upper right of the A129 screen a "car" icon appears.
  3. When the ignition is switched off that icon changes to a person figure.
I set the HK3 voltage to 12.4.

Before I installed my A129 Duo my battery voltage remained above 12 after days of inactivity and the car always started easily.

With the A129 installed and powered by my HK3 set to 12.4 the battery voltage drops overnight to around 12. The car then only just starts.

Thanks for the replies
So you have parking mode set to Auto Event Detection (motion detection)?
So before you had the camera turn off with the car correct? So it never tasked the battery when the car was not running. Now you rely on the 3-wire kit to turn off the camera when it reaches about 12.4V correct? If this is correct, it sounds like your battery may be weaker than you think.
Is the 3-wire kit turning off the camera (camera is off when you get in int the morning)? If you are measuring 12V at the battery and the kit is set to 12.4V AND the camera is still running, then you may have an issue. However, if the camera has shut off and the battery is at 12V, then the kit has done it's job and your battery is probably depleting a little more due to another device or it's just a weak battery. How old is the battery?

benkar

It would probably be a good idea to measure the current consumption from the battery when the car is turned off and in sleep mode when the 3HK is connected and disconnected.
Consumption should not exceed 10 mA when the camera is disconnected. The camera consumes about 30 mA. My car consumes 40 mA (without camera connection).

Last edited:

FogWatch

So you have
parking mode set to Auto Event Detection (motion detection)?
Yes

Now you rely on the 3-wire kit to turn off the camera when it reaches about 12.4V correct?
Yes

Is the 3-wire kit turning off the camera (camera is off when you get in int the morning)?
No

If you are measuring 12V at the battery and the kit is set to 12.4V AND the camera is still running, then you may have an issue.
I just measured 10v at the battery and the camera still ran.

Fei

I have same problem like op. Kit set as 12.0v but battery measureed as 11.6 to cut off. Don't know why. Is there any solution? I'm thing turn off WiFi so see if this help

Fei

Tested again with WiFi turned off . Seems like the kits has problem it won't stop the camera even the voltage dropped below the trigger point.

Capture Your Action

Tested again with WiFi turned off . Seems like the kits has problem it won't stop the camera even the voltage dropped below the trigger point.
Double check your yellow ACC connection. Make sure the fuse turns off with the car. Check with a multimeter, don't assume it turns off just because what ever it powers turns off with the car, the fuse may still be live. Also, double check your ground connection. Must be connected to bare metal that connects to the metal framing under the dash.

Fei

Set the parking mode off. The camera can automatically shutdown when the car stopped. problem solved.

benkar

Get your vehicle battery Load Tested.
Never install Hardwire Kit with Parking Mode enabled using vehicle battery older than 4 years.
Set Hardwire Kit cutoff switch to 12.0 volts.
The Low Bitrate Recording mode will fill memory card because it records continuously at 30fps with sound.
Thank you for your new knowledge. I have a new battery VARTA SILVER Dynamic 63Ah, 12V, D15 and I do not use the parking mode anymore, because when the car is standing for a long time, the battery discharges itself. I don't know if there's a problem, or it's normal.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
In my personal car, if let the camera recording in parking mode for overnight, the car will give me a warning nextday for battery discharger while car stopped.