Feature request: WiFi toggle with Parking Mode

dqgs

Would it be possible to add a feature that turns the WiFi on in Parking Mode automatically, using 3 wire kit? And turn it off automatically while driving?

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
May I know you need this feature?
Tune on Wi-Fi in parking mode will use more power, and create more heating.
Normally we don't suggest to keep the Wi-Fi always on.

dqgs

I park my car close to the house and it would be convinient to review footage remotely. Now I have to think about turning Wi-Fi on…and then turning it off again so the bitrate doesn't suffer.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
We will not add automatically turn on Wi-Fi.
But we will add Wi-Fi station mode, support camera to connect wireless route, so can download video with home PC.

dqgs

So instead of running an Access Point on the camera, the camera would run in a Client Mode, connecting to a home Wi-Fi? That is some good news.

Would this mode run automatically in the parking mode?

Alistair Parsons

If the car is near your house, would it be easier to use a CCTV/IP camera?

Station mode is great, they added it to the Git2 and it became an IP camera, and so I could drive my RC car around and see the footage up on my TV, streamed throught VLC.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, can act like a IP cam.
But no plan to enable the Wi-Fi automatically in the parking mode.

Alistair Parsons

Parking mode is more for when people come back to a car that has been parked and notice damage. So you generally know something has happened, and so easy to just pop out the sd card to transfer files.
If you want to review a constant live feed, even a cheap IP camera would be higher quality than the 640x300 or so preview resolution. If the car is parked for a while and you want to see if anything has happeened just based on video review, as you would have to transfer each video over wifi, which would be slow. with an IP cam and DVR, you can quicly slide along the recorded timeline quickly from whichever recording device, phone or DVR.
A possible general consumer reason for auto wifi in parking is for people who are just popping in to shops when parked, taking a bit longer than planned and just want to quickly check on car, but as the wifi range is so short, there wouldnt be a lot of point.