Distorted colors on rear camera

MikS

I've got an issue with the rear camera - it distorts colors. See screenshot below. I had v1.3 firmware, updated to v.2.1.20200803 - no difference. Does anybody have this problem or my case is unique?

Tam1978

Mine doesn't do that but there are some factors to consider.

This is in a garage. Does this happen in sunlight as well?

Perhaps it's the cable to the rear camera or some interference being introduced somewhere along the cable.
  • Is there any way to try a different cable to the back?
  • Are there ferrite cores on the cable?
Note that the cable to the back is not a standard USB cable and from what I remember reading, if you try a standard USB cable, damage can occur.

Easiest thing to try first is to get ferrite cores and install on both ends of the cable, if they aren't there. I believe they are fairly inexpensive and can be purchased from many places, so that would be the first thing to try.

There are replacement cables that can be purchased from various locations. They're not too expensive, but throwing parts at something to see if the issue is fixed can get expensive.

The last thing to do is replace the rear camera, of course.

Hopefully, Viofo can help you out.

MikS

It happens everywhere, not only in a garage and it's a permanent issue, it happens all the time.
I don't think that it's an interference in a cable going to the rear camera. I use a standard cable that was sold with the camera. It doesn't have any chokes and I didn't add any as when I installed the camera everything was OK. Why would it interfere now? I haven't re-routed the cable.

Capture Your Action

It happens everywhere, not only in a garage and it's a permanent issue, it happens all the time.
I don't think that it's an interference in a cable going to the rear camera. I use a standard cable that was sold with the camera. It doesn't have any chokes and I didn't add any as when I installed the camera everything was OK. Why would it interfere now? I haven't re-routed the cable.
Looks like a bad sensor, but I suppose a bad cable could cause it as well.
How are you powering the camera?

MikS

The dashcam is hardwired to a fuse box under the steering wheel.
Yes, I consider a damage of the rear camera cable. All the wiring is going under the trim and it's not a 5-minute job to remove the trim to check the cable. So I have to get a new cable or camera unit.
My question here was to find out if that is some sort of common issue for this camera, let's say from the heat.

Capture Your Action

No, not common.

Does it look like this when viewing a live image on the camera lcd screen or only from the memory card?