Connection Issues

DB198

I have a 119S V2 running the latest software upgrade. I have managed to get a reasonable connection with the GPS unit by packing the back of the camera with very thin foam. However if I try to power the camera direct and not through the GPS unit all I get is a blue screen and the message "Micro SD Card Reader Mode". The camera does not then record any pictures nor can I get into the Menu screen. Any ideas?

Tractor

When used on a PC the A119 go into "sd-card reader mode" automatically. Try using a phone charger as a power supply and not a PC. Also try another USB cable if possible.

DB198

I have no problem with connection to the computer. I do get "sd-card reader mode". Also plugging in to a phone charger I am able to get into the menu. My problem is that if I power the camera direct from the car's supply, not through the GPS unit, I get a blue screen showing "sd-card reader mode" and it does not therefore record my journey.

Tractor

Strange because if the unit is working with an external power supply and through a GPS it should work from the car's power. The only other though is that it a dirty or bad connection in the unit. I would try Viofo directly and submit a ticket at this link;

Support Ticket

Alistair Parsons

if its from a cars usb socket, you might get sd reader mode, quick fix is to use a 12v cigarette lighter adapter instead

another option is to cut a usb cable so it only has red and black for power only, not data.

Tractor

I have 3 dashcams set up and one uses the car's USB port, but not all car's supply enough power from the USB I understand. It does not explain why he gets powered up correctly when using a GPS and not when directly connected to the A119 presumable using the same cable.

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
If you see the "Micro SD Card Reader Mode ", normally this meas use wrong cable, the camera detect it as card reader mode, not enter the charging mode.