Can I power my A129 pro from a USB port?

Oilcan850

I just bought the A129 Pro (just the front camera, not the duo) to put into my new Mazda CX-30. I discovered that the 12 V outlet in the Mazda is always powered whether or not the car is on. So the other night I put the car in the garage and recorded 12 hours of darkness. I think the way around this is to plug the dashcam power cord into a USB port instead of the 12 V. This provides enough power to run the camera but it doesn't seem to power the fan. So I'm thinking what I will do is leave the dash cam plugged into the USB port when we are making short trips around town, and I will plug the dashcam into the 12 V outlet on road trips. Is there any reason not to do this? Is there a better solution to the problem of making sure that the camera turns off when I turn off the car? Thanks!

Capture Your Action

Built in USB ports in cars uaually do not supply enough power to run a dash camera, especially the A129 Pro, which requires more power than most. You should hardwire it with the Viofo 3-wire kit.

Oilcan850

Built in USB ports in cars uaually do not supply enough power to run a dash camera, especially the A129 Pro, which requires more power than most. You should hardwire it with the Viofo 3-wire kit.
Thanks - Because of the way the Mazda CX-30 is wired (my understanding is that all the fuses are powered all the time, whether or not the car is running), I don't believe hard-wiring the camera would make the camera turn off when I turn off the car. But, the camera does run when plugged into the USB port, and, when plugged into the USB port, the camera does shut down when I turn off the car. So is there any reason not to run the camera off the USB port?

Capture Your Action

I would find out what the amp output is on the USB port. If it's not at least 1A, I would not use it. Under powering the camera will just cause issues.

Tam1978

I find it hard to believe that ALL the fuses are powered all the time. Well, I did a quick search and sure enough, it looks like it's true.

That's an odd design. Not sure why they chose that. In any case, while doing the quick search, found this, an OBDII adapter that can provide switched power, like ACC. This one has a non-programmable cutoff when voltage goes low:

I'm sure if you search, there are others.

There must be some where that can be tapped, as the radio only comes on when you start up the car.

If I was in your situation, I would probably choose the OBD solution. I believe there are also OBD port splitters so you could plug more than one device into the OBD2 port.