Brand new A129 Duo: Rear camera permanently offline

denizengt

Hey there,

Got the A129 Duo a little over a week ago. In my test run outside and inside the car the rear camera worked fine, but since that short 30m run, it has never worked again.

I've checked the cabling and can see nothing wrong with it and re-installed a few times now (cable, camera and app).

Additionally, the WI-FI access is super poor despite having a strong signal. With mobile data off, the camera will constantly disconnect from the app, even if I place the phone right next to the unit.

Aside from that, the front camera works fine. Appreciate any help

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
Sometime the rear camera cable may cause the issue. You can submit a ticket at support.viofo.com or contact the seller.
Have you tried the 5G Wi-Fi option, the default is 2.4G.

Ubershopper

Did you resolve this issue? I have just received my unit today, completed an install. The rear camera is not working. Worse, if I plug in the cable to the rear unit, then the main unit starts freezing. If you found a solution, please let me know.

Did you resolve this issue? I have just received my unit today, completed an install. The rear camera is not working. Worse, if I plug in the cable to the rear unit, then the main unit starts freezing. If you found a solution, please let me know.
How are you powering the camera? Are you using the supplied 12V car adapter and Viofo USB cable?

Most likely either the rear cable is damaged or the rear camera is faulty. Go over your connections to make sure they are secure. If your powering through the camera mount, make sure the mount to camera connection is good. If you are powering through the mount, try powering the camera directly. I would also make sure WiFi is off during any testing.

Ubershopper

I didn't realize you can power directly. Would that be from the 12v adaptor to the USB cable to the A129 duo USB port I assume? My kit didn't come with any other adaptor (eg to plug into the three prongs on the back that the base uses.)

Okay, I have just tried that; plugging the power directly into the USB port on the unit it works. I plugged the rear cam cable in and it changes from 1920x1080 60fps (or similar to that) to 1080+1080 but then freeze... Jumps forward about 5 seconds on the clock and freeze, jumps forward another 5 or 6 seconds on the clock then freeze and no change until I power it off. In other words, same as with power to the base.

Good thought though.

OK, I assume you are plugging in and unplugging the rear camera while the unit is off? Not that this is causing your issue, but it could cause an issue if done while the unit is on.
Did you try the whole unit (the rear connected to the front) before you installed everything? Was is working fine then?

Ubershopper

I tried both. When it failed on power up with both connected, I unplugged the rear cam and power cycled. Main unit worked (with front view). I tried reattaching then. The main unit detects (indicated by the change to 1080+1080), but freezes. The I tried power cycling, leaving the rear cam connected. Same result.

Short version: I tried both ways.

As for.your question of trying it before setting it up. Yes, but... I honestly don't remember exactly what I tried now. I did try the main unit and saw it working. I can't remember if I ever saw the rear unit functioning. I might not have noticed the freezing. ☹

I would also try with a different memory card inserted and/or without a card inserted and see if the same issue occurs. Also worth a try is powering the camera with a different power source. Maybe plug a USB wall charger (phone charger) that supplies at least 1A into an extension cord and power the camera off the USB wall charger.

Ubershopper

I would also try with a different memory card inserted and/or without a card inserted and see if the same issue occurs. Also worth a try is powering the camera with a different power source. Maybe plug a USB wall charger (phone charger) that supplies at least 1A into an extension cord and power the camera off the USB wall charger.
I tried without the memory card (should.have mentioned that). It gave me a blue screen saying to insert the memory card. I will have to try that again as I can't remember if there was any indication of detecting the rear cam or not.

I have packed it in for the night. I will run an extension cord out to the car with a wall usb adaptor tomorrow to see if there is any difference.

Also, just a thought... What about running the long USB (power) cable from the rear cam to a lap top? Should it be detectable as a usb camera or something similar? I have a MacBook I can test that with. If it works, then it must be the other data cable. If it doesn't work, then I need to know if it is supposed to work when you do that in order to conclude anything of value.

I wouldn’t plug the rear camera cable into a laptop. Not sure if it could possibly damage anything. Probably not, but I don’t know. Other than a cable or rear camera defect, it’s possible that some kind of interference is coming in through the rear cable or camera. No way for sure until the cable was removed and tested. Could bring the cameras and cable inside to test with a USB wall charger.

BCHobbyist

Website
viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com
I tried without the memory card (should.have mentioned that). It gave me a blue screen saying to insert the memory card. I will have to try that again as I can't remember if there was any indication of detecting the rear cam or not.

I have packed it in for the night. I will run an extension cord out to the car with a wall usb adaptor tomorrow to see if there is any difference.

Also, just a thought... What about running the long USB (power) cable from the rear cam to a lap top? Should it be detectable as a usb camera or something similar? I have a MacBook I can test that with. If it works, then it must be the other data cable. If it doesn't work, then I need to know if it is supposed to work when you do that in order to conclude anything of value.
suggest you perform a Firmware update using v1.50 but detach Rear cam first. (reflashing over same version can sometime help)
When process is successful and A129 restarts press REC to stop recording,
enter Menu then select Default Settings and wait for it to restart again.
Now disconnect power and reconnect Rear camera and power on.

If Rear Cam still fails let me know.

Ubershopper

Thanks for all the assistance.

I will test playing back the recordings, etc today. However, the main functionality is now working.

As suggested above, I reflashed the FW (1.5), reset to default and confirmed the main unit was functioning. I powered off and reseated both ends of the front to rear data cable before powering on again. It's now working!

Next up will be finishing the hardwiring when the fuse taps arrive and hopefully ironing out my wifi connection difficulties.

Thanks again.