About to give up with WiFi

Jamkat

So had the A129 duo for a while now, but about to give up!

I’ve posted on this forum about my issue of never reliably being able to use the WIFI function. 99% of the time when I switch WIFI on to connect my iPhone, the iPhone can connect to the WiFi, however the app crashes (I’ve used Dod app as well) or the app will display the list of files only about 25% of the time. When I can get a list of files to download or view, they won’t stream. The list goes on.

I’ve raised tickets before, but I always get the standard firmware and similar theorys seeen on this forum. So what I want to ask you all is if you could post a video of you successfully using WiFi?

I can post a video of how it doesn’t work!!

Ubershopper

I don't have a video recorded but I agree with the Wifi problems and I'm not sure it would help as I am on Android.

Here are my findings so far though:
I need to have my device forget the wifi connection and connect as a new connection every time. Then, I wait for a pop up warning me there is no internet available. I select to stay connected and then go back to the app and then connect to camera. I would say it works about 50% of the time.

Alistair Parsons

to test whether wifi issue or app issue, try going to http://192.168.1.254 and view photos/video

re the android forgetting wifi issue, that is an OS issue, nothing to do with gitup
its an android "feature" from marshmallow

in wifi advanced settings, untick the avoid poor wifi networks.....

Ubershopper

re the android forgetting wifi issue, that is an OS issue, nothing to do with gitup
its an android "feature" from marshmallow

in wifi advanced settings, untick the avoid poor wifi networks.....
Hi Alistair,

I think there's a misunderstanding. I'm aware of the wifi filtering that attempts to avoid networks without internet connections. That's not the issue. I added that step just to avoid conflicting with the subsequent search for the camera by the app.

The gist of what I was suggesting was that my success rate goes up if I have the phone forget the previous connection and connect again as if it were the first time.

BCHobbyist

Website
viofo-dash-cam-selection-advice.blogspot.com
So had the A129 duo for a while now, but about to give up!

I’ve posted on this forum about my issue of never reliably being able to use the WIFI function. 99% of the time when I switch WIFI on to connect my iPhone, the iPhone can connect to the WiFi, however the app crashes (I’ve used Dod app as well) or the app will display the list of files only about 25% of the time. When I can get a list of files to download or view, they won’t stream. The list goes on.

I’ve raised tickets before, but I always get the standard firmware and similar theorys seeen on this forum. So what I want to ask you all is if you could post a video of you successfully using WiFi?

I can post a video of how it doesn’t work!!
WiFi Dashcam control in one way is a gimmick, it isn't required but a convenience and very helpful for Lens angle adjustment, settings and retrieving crash footage on scene otherwise never use it while Driving for the following reasons:
  • when WiFi is enabled it throttles video Bitrate from 16-20 Mbps down to 8 Mbps with Rear camera connected which greatly reduces image detail to maintain LiveView streaming connection.
  • when WiFi is enabled it generates more heat using more power not good on hot summer days.
  • WiFi connections can drop out frequently especially with other Access Points nearby or smartphone Auto connecting to other networks.
WiFi connection solutions include:
  • close all running APPs,
  • during APP install accept all permissions,
  • temporarily disable cellphone Data Plan Service,
  • disable smartphone Auto WiFi connect,
  • change WiFi Menu setting from 5 to 2.4 GHz may improve connection,
  • stronger WiFi networks may cause interference and weaken signal,
  • disable GPS to isolate problem.
I plan to create the missing A129 video demonstrating WiFi APP connections soon.

Viofo A129 Duo Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com

Last edited:

c00ller

It's ridiculous but you have to disable mobile data connection on your phone for the Viofo app to communicate with the A129 over WiFi. I have not gotten it to connect once without doing this.

Edit: sorry, missed the "iPhone" bit! I'm on Android so what I said was not relevant for you.

Last edited:

viofo

Administrator
Staff member
It's ridiculous but you have to disable mobile data connection on your phone for the Viofo app to communicate with the A129 over WiFi. I have not gotten it to connect once without doing this.
It seems a common issue for Android, we have a solution for this, we will offer beta APP for android user for testing, so the internet and camera connection both works.

Regarding iPhone issue, please check if you use the latest app, and can you share a video for the issue?

Ubershopper

It seems a common issue for Android, we have a solution for this, we will offer beta APP for android user for testing, so the internet and camera connection both works.
Happy to test if you want feedback.

Jamkat

So here is a video of me trying to use the WiFi connection and VIOFO app. It’s just not reliable enough to use!

Jamkat

WiFi Dashcam control in one way is a gimmick, it isn't required but a convenience and very helpful for Lens angle adjustment, settings and retrieving crash footage on scene otherwise never use it while Driving for the following reasons:
  • when WiFi is enabled it throttles video Bitrate from 16-20 Mbps down to 8 Mbps with Rear camera connected which greatly reduces image detail to maintain LiveView streaming connection.
  • when WiFi is enabled it generates more heat using more power not good on hot summer days.
  • WiFi connections can drop out frequently especially with other Access Points nearby or smartphone Auto connecting to other networks.
WiFi connection solutions include:
  • close all running APPs,
  • during APP install accept all permissions,
  • temporarily disable cellphone Data Plan Service,
  • disable smartphone Auto WiFi connect,
  • change WiFi Menu setting from 5 to 2.4 GHz may improve connection,
  • stronger WiFi networks may cause interference and weaken signal,
  • disable GPS to isolate problem.
I plan to create the missing A129 video demonstrating WiFi APP connections soon.

Viofo A129 Duo Dash Cam Review: https://viofo-a129-duo-dash-cam-review.blogspot.com
I’m a driving instructor and the WiFi would be extremely useful to instantly playback and Driver errors or situations that occur while we are out and about driving. Lots of other dash cams say they have WiFi. Whether you view it as a gimmick or not, it SHOULD WORK if advertised as a feature!!!

Capture Your Action

So here is a video of me trying to use the WiFi connection and VIOFO app. It’s just not reliable enough to use!

Have you tried 2.5 GHz?
Did you rename the A129 connection?
Have you tried to disable data?
Tried to turn on airplane mode?
If all else fails, try reloading the firmware.

Jamkat

So is everyone implying that they have their Wi-fi working reliably?

GReading

I haven't had any problems. We have 2 cars with A129's installed and I have gone from 1 car to the other, turned on the WIFI and gotten into the app with no problems.

Jamkat

Update - I’ve removed the front camera from the car and powered it via a portable 5v power bank. With it removed from the car and powered via the power bank, the WiFi seems to work much better! Go figure! So could it be the rear camera, the wiring in the car ( it’s connected to the 2 wire hardwire kit ), the gps unit or perhaps some interference from something else? Any ideas?

Capture Your Action

Update - I’ve removed the front camera from the car and powered it via a portable 5v power bank. With it removed from the car and powered via the power bank, the WiFi seems to work much better! Go figure! So could it be the rear camera, the wiring in the car ( it’s connected to the 2 wire hardwire kit ), the gps unit or perhaps some interference from something else? Any ideas?
Have you tried it inside the car with the rear camera cable unplugged from the main unit? If it appears to function fine in the car with the rear cable unplugged, then it’s possible the cable is picking up some interference.

Jamkat

After my last update, I then went back to the car, plugged it all in as normal and it all worked, but I’m going to try again tomorrow, because I bet it won’t work tomorrow. The other thought I had was to change to 2.4 WiFi in case it was interference, but that was soo slow! So I just don’t know! It seems to be something, maybe a loose comnection that moves when I remove the camera from the car and after a little vibration when back in the car it goes wrong again?

mikeluscher159

The current firmware/app combo, at least on Android on my Pixel 2 XL is borderline unusable

It will only connect on 2.4, refuses to on 5

Which means the frame rate for aiming the camera or downloading files is atrocious

To download a saved 3 minute files took me about 4 minutes

And the range is lousy, you have to be within a foot or two of the camera for a steady stream

I'm really no better off then I was with the A119s I had before, I still have to dismount and bring it inside to a computer