A129 PRO Dual Channel Ultra 4K Front and 1080p Rear Not always turning on

Brently

I've had this installed since last summer and really don't think about it much (which is a good thing) It's hard wired into the fuse panel using the HK3 hardwire kit and an add-a-fuse, Card is a Samsung PRO Endurance Micro SD Card 64GB

Today when I got home from a trip to the store I connected with the app to check something and noticed that the trip to the store wasn't recorded but there was the videos from the way back. Checking the time stamps there is is a big gap from when I got home from work until I left the store this time.
Looking through the files I see gaps all over the place where it doesn't seem to be recording entire trips or some days and other seem ok

I don't always hear the power on sound when I start the car but figured I must just be missing it with the radio on or something.

The camera is positioned behind the mirror so I don't see it at all (and it's not blocking any of my view)

Any ideas???
Thanks

Capture Your Action

How are you powering the camera?

Format the card using SDFormatter. Perform the full overwrite, not the quick format. After SDFormatter, format again in the camera.

Brently

Camera is hardwired to the fusebox using the HK3 wiring kit and an add-a-fuse, park mode seems to work.
I've also seen that sometimes when I tried to activate wifi mode it doesn't work and I end up having to uplug and replug the power into the camera to get the thing to respond but I always thought I was just pushing the wrong buttons and dismissed it. Now I'm wondering if it's not freezing during some start ups.

I've downloaded that software and will re-format the card as you suggested
Thanks
B

Capture Your Action

During testing, make sure power is applied direct to the camera and not the GPS to eliminate that connection point as the issue.

Update to the latest firmware if you have not already. Be sure to manually default the cameras settings in the menu after any firmware change. You should also press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds.

Brently

Power is direct to the unit (seem to me I read that somewhere when I installed it) and the rear camera is plugged into it as well.

Re-formatted the card using the software, full format (took quite a while)
plugged it into the camera and re-formatted again
Reset the camera back to default
I'll have to check the firmware version, I updated when I bought it back last summer, don't recall doing anything after that.

I was ready to buy a second one for my wife's car but I'll hold off until I see how this goes, looking through the videos there's all kinds missing

Firmware V2.1 Build 2020 08 03
B

Last edited:

Brently

I'll have to run it for a few days and then check the recordings to see what it's getting. Only setting I changed is to a 5 second boot delay (it used to be zero before but I thought maybe this would help let it get going or something)
B

Brently

Update
Still missing trips apparently at random. Once after work for the drive home, once in the middle of the day to get some groceries, only recorded the trip back.
Also noticed that it recorded a parked "event" from when I got home at 6pm until about 3 in the morning every 2 minutes. At first I thought it might be the flag across the street moving but it only did this one night.
I've re-formatted the card again and will try another few days.
Gone from really liking this camera to why bother, it's probably not going to be recording if anything does happen anyway.
B

Capture Your Action

May want to try power it with the included 12V car adapter and Viofo USB power cable. Won't have automatic parking mode engagement, but will rule out any issue with the hardwire kit.
I would try another card if using and other power source does not help. The SanDisk High Endurance card work well.

Brently

If I had to guess it would be something to do with the power switching from park/off to drive/running. Doesn't powering it from the lighter leave it running all the time?
I'll find the adapter and try it
Ordered a new high endurance card this morning
Thanks
B

Capture Your Action

If I had to guess it would be something to do with the power switching from park/off to drive/running. Doesn't powering it from the lighter leave it running all the time?
I'll find the adapter and try it
Ordered a new high endurance card this morning
Thanks
B
If your 12V port is live all the time, then yes, it will run continuously. However, the camera should enter parking mode after 5 minutes of no sensed motion and exit when the car reaches a certain speed (assuming your using the GPS mount). You can also just manually power the camera down if you don’t want to use parking mode at certain times.
Might also be worth trying a different parking mode.

Brently

New Card (sandisk 128G High Endurance C10, U3, V30) installed (formatted with the program above and re-formatted on the camera
Trying this first before digging out the lighter cable (not sure where it is)
I did notice that the camera doesn't always play the "welcome" chime when I start the car but when I look it's on the live-view screen so it did "wake up" from park mode (I think)
When I turn the car off the record light starts to blink, I've got park mode set to auto event, what lights should be on when it's just sitting there?
B

Capture Your Action

If it's in Auto Event Mode, then the REC will blink and the MIC light will be on (unless you disabled the MIC).

Brently

Went out and checked and the rec light was blinking... until the motion light on the garage turned on and them the rec light went solid so I guess that's correct.
Here's hoping the new card works, I'll try it for a week and then check to see what it recorded
Thanks again
B

Brently

OK so it's Friday so I pulled the new card and checked
First thing is the unit isn't making the "wake up" sound at all now so I'm not sure if I turned something off by accident

It has recorded each trip I made this week including stops for gas etc (4 days in a row, not really a good sample but so far so good)

Now it didn't record any parking videos all week until today where for whatever reason at 12:30 lunch (I get to work at 8 in the morning) it started recording parking videos about every 1-3 minutes all afternoon until I left around 3:30.
I've got it set to events but there would have been a bunch of movement in the morning around 11:00 -11:30 with cars leaving the parking lot and people walking by, not really anything at 12:30 and if I look at the videos I don't really see anything at all on any of them

Anyway, I'll still monitor the day to day to see if it's actually working more than the 4 days in a row but any input into the parking ? every day would more or less be the same so why only today and why every couple of minutes all afternoon once it started?
Weird
B

Capture Your Action

When you updated the firmware, did you manually default the cameras settings? You should also press and hold the hard reset button on the side of the camera for about 5 seconds. If you did not do those things, I would do so.
I would update to V2.2, then do the above.

Brently

I defaulted but then made a few changes (clip size etc)
I'll bring the unit in and find the 2.2 firmware and update, I'll have to look for the hard-reset, don't recall that but it was last summer I did the 2.1 FW
B